Pheniramine overdose

Definition

Pheniramine is a type of medicine called an antihistamine. It helps relieve allergy symptoms. Pheniramine overdose occurs when someone takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medicine, either by accident or on purpose.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual overdose. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual overdose. If you or someone you are with overdoses, call your local emergency number (such as 911), or your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.

Alternative Names

Dehistine D overdose; Liqui-Histine overdose; Poly-D overdose; Poly-Histine overdose; Liqui-minic infant overdose; Triactin overdose; Triaminic infant overdose

Poisonous Ingredient

Pheniramine

Where Found

Pheniramine can be found in these medicines:

Other products may also contain pheniramine.

Symptoms

Below are symptoms of an overdose of pheniramine in different parts of the body.

BLADDER AND KIDNEYS

EYES, EARS, NOSE, AND THROAT

HEART AND BLOOD VESSELS

NERVOUS SYSTEM

SKIN

STOMACH AND INTESTINES

Home Care

Seek medical help right away. DO NOT make the person throw up unless poison control or a health care provider tells you to.

Before Calling Emergency

Have this information ready:

Poison Control

Your local poison center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room

Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.

The provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated. The person may receive:

Outlook (Prognosis)

If the person survives the first 24 hours, chances of recovery are good. Few people die from an antihistamine overdose.

With extremely high doses of antihistamines, serious heart rhythm disturbances may occur, which may result in death.

References

Gosselin S. Antihistamines and decongestants. In: Hoffman RS, Howland MA, Lewin NA, Nelson LS, Goldfrank LR, eds. Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies. 10th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill-Medical; 2015:chap 49.

Monte AA, Hoppe JA. Anticholinergics. In: Walls RM, Hockberger RS, Gausche-Hill M, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2018:chap 145.


Review Date: 7/2/2017
Reviewed By: Jesse Borke, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, Attending Physician at FDR Medical Services/Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Buffalo, NY. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., a business unit of Ebix, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
adam.com